You are a Vietnamese Citizen and already have had a U.S. visa? You may qualify for the visa renewal program. If you do, you can renew your visa by mailing your application to the U.S. Embassy Hanoi without having to come for a personal interview and fingerprinting.
The Embassy’s point of contact for mailing service is EMS, which has an office at each city and province nationwide.
Qualified applications for visa renewal will be processed and returned within three to five business days.
Incomplete application will be returned without being processed. Use the following check-list (PDF - 243KB) to make sure you include all required documents.
Please note that, prior to the issuance of a visa, the Embassy reserves the right to request a personal interview.
You are qualified for the renewal program if you meet ALL criteria below:
- You are a Vietnamese citizen.
- You are physically present in Vietnam.
- You are a holder of a U.S. temporary visitor, returning student/exchange visitor, temporary worker or intra‐company transferee visa (B, F, M, J, H and L visa). (1)
- You are applying for the exact same visa type.
- Your latest visa was a full validity visa (note: currently a multiple entry, twelve month visa).
- You are applying for a new visa not more than 11 months after the previous visa expired. (2)
- If you are a student, you have not left the United States for a break in studies of five months or more, unless your activities overseas are related to your course of study. (3)
- You were not refused a U.S. visa at your last application.
- You did not answer “YES” to any question in Security and Background of the DS‐160.
Applicants who do not meet these requirements should schedule an online appointment for a visa interview.
(1) If you turned 14 after the last visa application, your last visa is not a biometric visa and you are not qualified for the renewal program.
(2) You can apply even if your current visa is not expired.
(3) If the break in study exceeds five months, please include a letter explaining how it is related to your studies.
Print this check-list (PDF - 243KB)
For all applicants
- Signed passport. Remove your passport from any extra cover (plastic, leather, etc.). Passport must have a validity date of at least six months beyond your intended stay in the U.S.
Children must have a separate passport, even if traveling with a parent.
- All your previous passports. Especially, if your previous visa is in an expired passport, you must also include that passport.
- DS-160 confirmation page with barcode, completed and submitted on line.
There is no need to print out the full application form, just the confirmation page. The barcode works best when printed from a blank and white laserjet printer.
Please note, the processing time will be significantly reduced if you select U.S. Embassy Hanoi as the location for visa application.
- One passport picture taken within the last 6 months on a white background, with your ears visible, stapled to the bottom left of DS-160 confirmation page. The picture must NOT be retouched.
Please note, the processing time will be significantly reduced if you upload an appropriate photo into the Electronic application form.
- Both parts (pink and yellow) of the receipt for visa application fee.
Official/Diplomatic passport holders must also submit
- An original Ministry of Foreign Affairs Diplomatic Note.
- A copy of the agency’s decision sending you on the trip.
- The flight itinerary (a copy of the booking only, not a ticket).
Students and exchange visitors (F, M, J visas holders) must also include
- Original form I-20 or DS-2019.
The form must be signed by the applicant. If the F1 applicant is under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must also sign form I-20.
Form I-20 must have been endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months.
- The student’s transcripts.
Renewal applications must be sent through EMS to be eligible for the program.
Since EMS has different types of services, please be specific with EMS staff that you want a “U.S. visa renewal”.
Applications sent to the Embassy through another courier or without paying the full EMS fee will be returned AT YOUR OWN COST without been processed.
More information about EMS delivery and courier fee for the visa renewal can be found on the EMS website.
Your Visa in Hanoi
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by visiting the Adobe website.