PEPFAR - U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
The U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) supports the HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment priorities of the Government of Vietnam through service delivery and technical collaboration. PEPFAR encourages the principles for joint collaboration that are aimed at restoring responsibility of the HIV/AIDS response to Vietnam and promoting long-term sustainability. PEPFAR further coordinates with health development partners including The Global Fund, to promote high levels of collaboration across all partners engaged in Vietnam’s HIV/AIDS response.
Under the leadership of Ambassador David B. Shear, the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) in Vietnam is implemented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Department of Defense (DoD), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and Department of State (DoS).
Through PEPFAR, the American people support a targeted program of health systems strengthening and HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment. Major program areas include:
- Providing HIV counseling and testing services targeting the most-at-risk populations;
- Supporting methadone maintenance therapy for injecting drug users, thereby lowering their risk of contracting HIV, and enabling them to access other services;
- Continued support to antenatal settings to reduce risk of mother-to-child-transmission of HIV;
- Support for sustainable condom programming (i.e., social marketing and total market approach) and expansion of the 100% Condom Use Program.
Care & Treatment
- Treatment, care and support for people living with HIV;
- Pediatric treatment, care and support for children living with HIV and support to orphans and other vulnerable children;
- Supporting antiretroviral procurement, distribution, and supply chain management;
- Diagnosing and effectively managing TB and HIV co-infection.
- Support to laboratories in development of the capacity to perform clinical laboratory tests;
- Support to laboratories for accreditation according to national or international standards.
Across the breadth of PEPFAR, we also support:
- Supporting development of national Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) curricula; training of trainers in M&E; program monitoring; dissemination of methods and direct technical assistance;
- Support to improve the quality of epidemiological research and surveillance.
Health Systems Strengthening
- Pre-service and in-service medical and nursing training, infection control, advocacy, addressing stigma and discrimination, strengthening engagement of civil society and the private sector, legal support services, governance and promoting sustainability and coordination across HIV health donors.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
PEPFAR Coordination Office
Tung Shing Square, 2 Ngo Quyen, 6/F
Tel: +84 4 3935 2115