The U.S Citizen Services unit performs various notarial services, including:
- Affidavit of Single Status for marriage in Vietnam
- Affidavit of Change of Name
- Affidavit of Birth (for lost birth certificates)
- Acknowledgement of signature for legal documents
- Power of Attorney
In order to make an appointment for notarials services, please visit our Appointment System.
Fees for notarial services are US$50.00 for every United States consular seal affixed; for certification of true copy, US$50.00 for every copy; and for authentication, US$50.00.
Fees are payable in U.S. dollars in cash, or by the following credit cards: Visa, Master, Discover and American Express. The Embassy does not accept checks or Vietnamese Dong.
In addition, the Embassy can only accept dollars in good condition. Notes that are taped, washed, torn, damaged, or have excessive marks or blemishes will not be accepted.
Documents of non U.S. citizens that are to be used in the United States may also be notarized. For notarization, you are requested to bring your passport or other government-issued photo ID for identification purposes.
Please note that academic credentials, commercial documents, and criminal background checks of U.S. origin cannot be notarized or authenticated by the Embassy and must go through the authentication process in the United States.
Preparation for a notary appointment
- Bring a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Make sure you understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you.
- Please complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but do not sign the form; you will sign it at the Embassy in front of a Consular officer).
- If your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to the notarization, you are responsible for providing these witnesses. Consular staff cannot act as witnesses.
- List of Vietnamese Notary and Justice Services Offices in Hanoi
- Affidavit of Single Status (PDF - 74KB)
- Blank Affidavit (PDF - 10KB)
- Power of Attorney (PDF - 6.5KB)
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by visiting the Adobe website.