Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Visa types


Visa description 


Visa type

Purpose of travel


Length of stay

Academic student.


You plan to attend one of the following:

  • university
  • secondary school
  • language institute

May not work off-campus; If employment on-campus, may not exceed 20h/week during school year.

Duration of the I-20+ 30 days prior and 60 days after.

Dependent (spouse or child less than 21 years old).


You will reside with the program beneficiary holder of F1 visa.

May not work in the U.S.

Vocational student.


You plan to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institutions.


Duration of the I-20 + 30 days prior and 30 days after, but not to exceed one year in total.

Dependent (spouse or child less than 21 years old).


You will reside with the program beneficiary holder of M1 visa.

May not work in the U.S.

 Back to Top^

Important note

You must have your I-20 when you come to your visa interview appointment. We cannot issue your visa until you submit your I-20.
If your departure date is over a month away, you may come to your appointment with a copy of your I-20. However, you have to submit your original I-20 at the U.S. port of entry.

The form I-20 is not a visa. If you arrive in the U.S. with the I-20, but no student visa, you will not be allowed to enter the U.S. and will be returned to the country you come from.

Do not send us the username and password to enter your school account. This information is for your use only, and should not be shared with anyone, not even us.

 Back to Top^

To obtain this type of visa, you must show

  • Acceptance as a full-time student at a U.S. Government-approved institution which will issue a SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) compliant Form I-20.
  • Adequate academic preparation, indicated by school transcripts, for the studies you plan to undertake.
  • Adequate English language skills or evidence that the school will provide language training.
  • Readily available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study. You also must satisfy interviewing officers that, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funds will be available for each subsequent year of study. The following are examples of acceptable financial documentation: scholarship, fellowship or financial aid award letter from the school you will be attending, family business records, tax records, real estate records or bank books. Bank statements are not accepted as supporting documentation.
  • Strong ties to the country in which you are applying for the visa.
  • Indications that you will leave the United States upon completion of your studies.

 Back to Top^

Documents required

Each applicant must provide

  • A valid passport. 
  • DS-160 online application confirmation page.
  • One photograph taken within the last 6 months.
  • Proof of payment of visa application fee.
  • Proof of payment of SEVIS fee.

Note:  Current Fulbright Scholars and Vietnam Education Foundation Scholars and their spouse / children are not required to pay visa nor SEVIS fee.

  • Original I-20 issued by an approved institution.
  • Documentation supporting your visa application.

Dependant applying separately must also provide

  • Copy of the principal applicant’s I-20.
  • Copy of the principal applicant’s F1 or M1 visa.
  • Birth or marriage records showing relation to principal applicant.

Returning students

  • New I-20 or I-20 that has been re-endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months.
  • Transcripts.

 Back to Top^